STUDENT UNION NAMES BLIVEN AS PRESIDENT

CONSTITUTION ADOPTED WITH NO EXTRA AMENDMENTS

Dedicated to the three causes of "international peace", "social security", and preservation of the Federal Bill of Rights, the Harvard Student Union at its organization here last night unanimously elected Bruce O. Bliven, Jr. '37, of New York, as its first president.

About 150 members of the four amalgamating societies, Peace, Liberal Club, N.S.L., and S.L.I.D., attended the meeting together with a number of new joiners in the Union.

After introductory remarks by spokesmen of the four organizations and a representative of the Teachers' Union, the assembly under the chairmanship of Bliven proceeded to a reading and ratification of the constitution. Then officers and executive council were named.

Officers Elected

In addition to the president the organization will have as vice-president Raymond Dennett '36 and as secretary treasurer A. Jerome Himelhoch '38.

D. Boone Schirmer '37, Laurence S. Levy '39, and George Mayberry 1G received election to the execute council.

These six then added to their number, as provided under the constitution, a member of the CRIMSON, Edwin O. Tilton '36, an executive of Brooks House, Robert S. Chafee '36, and Robert S. Brainerd '38, in place of Dennett, a member of the Student Council.

In general the tone of the meeting was evenly divided between radical and conservative feeling. All elements submerged their own specific aims and claims in the wider interests by adopting the constitution as prepared, without serious debate.