Collections and Critiques

Martin to Paint Series of 1$ Portraits of Harvard Figures

Second of his proposed series of Harvard personalities, Keith Martin '32 has just completed a portrait of Willard L.Sperry, Dean of the Divinity School, to be hung in an exhibition of his work at the Grace Horne Galleries in Boston, opening Monday afternoon.

A painting of Dr. Archibald T. Davison '06 was the first of this series and will be included in the exhibition. Both portraits were painted in the Fogg Art Museum, that of Dean Sperry last week. The sittings for the work occupied about 10 hours.

In commenting upon the time required for the painting of a three quarter figure. Martin stated that it varies widely according to the method employed by the artist. His own technique, he said, is based upon direct painting, beginning immediately to develop the drawing, form, and color with the brush. This method, he feels, tends to produce work with greater vitalfty and accuracy because the mind apparently operates most efficiently at top speed.

As an undergraduate, Martin concentrated in American History and purposely avoided creative work in art in order not to be influenced by any one technical school until he had broadened his view of art in general. Although he felt that his calling was an artistic one, he was not certain until just before graduation in what direction it would be. For several years he lived abroad, devoting his energies mainly to music.

At the end of his Senior year, Martin had decided that portrait painting would be his vocation. The next step, he felt, would be to attach himself to an artist whose work he admired, whose critical judgment he trusted, and who was not connected with an art school. He became a tutor and general handy-man in the household of Wayman Adams and worked with him for two years.

Recently Martin has been recognized as one of the leading young painters. Among his works which have aroused favorable comment are those of Dr. Davison and Jeanne Madden. The latter is reproduced in this column. Miss Madden has recently signed a contract with Warner Brothers to appear in a motion picture with Dick Powell.

Martin's proposed Harvard series would include not only some of the faculty, but also traditional characters, such as Max Keezer. Blind Dan, and some of the Janitors