The Moviegoer

"The Prisoner of Shark Island" is an Excellent Melodrama; Other Feature Bearable

A magician, a pretty, home-loving girl, a threadbare plot--that is the whole of "Eternally Yours". It all hinges about Loretta Young, whose change from historic thrillers to modern nondescript is much for the worse. In this lovodrama, she has to choose between a boring suitor and a crafty magician. The snave charlatan, David Niven, offers here excitement and some other things, too. With him, she is whiled through a hectic Hollywoodian adventure; they cruise around the world, sometimes doing parlor tricks, sometimes performing feats of magic. Back at home, though, the other suitor waits, offering her his stolid security. In the end, wistfully switching her skirt over a fetching figure, she chooses Niven, who turns out to be the homey type after all. The other lover fades away, leaving his air of boredom with the audience. Outside the triangle, some consolation may be found with the nincompoop butler, Hugh Herbert, w ho bungles the works as usual. Billic Burke and C. Anbrey Smith are also in the show. Except for the Young loveliness, it would be Hollywood's newest nausea.

The doubelton is the latest of the "Blondie" series, with more of the faults and less of the virtues of its predecessors.