EIGHT CHOSEN FOR PHI BETA KAPPA AT JUNIOR ELECTIONS

These Eight Are First Junior to Get This Honor; Winners Had Received Numerous Scholarships

Eight Juniors were elected to Phi Beta Kappa last night at a meeting of the Harvard Chapter, in the Eliot House Junior Common Room.

Those who were elected are: Robert Lyle Bishop of Manhasset, L. I., N. Y.; William Ames Coates of Quincy; Saul Gerald Cohen of Dorchester, Milton Elkin of Roxbury; Maurice Haskell Heins of Dorchester; Neil Gardiner Melone of Minneapolis; Howard Franklin Schomer of Oak Park, Illinois; and Robert James Stevenson of Washington.

Bishop, who is concentrating in Economics, is a member of the CRIMSON Business Board. Coates, who won honorable mention for the Jeremy Belknap Prize, is Secretary-Treasurer of the Unity Club and a member of the Glee Club.

Melone was the winner of the Whitaker Scholarship and the Richard Perkins Parker Scholarship. He was also a member of the Freshman boxing team and is a member of the CRIMSON news board, chairman of the Eliot House Committee, and a member of the Liberal Club.

Schomer won the second Bowdoin Prize for an essay on Robert Frost, which carried a $250 stipend. Stevenson is a member of the Cercle Francais.

There will be an initiation dinner early in April at the Harvard Club in Boston. The present officers of the Phi Beta Kappa, here in charge of initiating the "Junior Eight," are Elmer R. Best '36, First Marshal, and Robert H. Rawson '36.