NEW MANAGERIAL SYSTEM

Under the management of Walter H. Page, '37, the football managerial competitions will no longer, as in the past, draw all the candidate's efforts away from scholastic pursuits. Freshman managers, starting a five-hour-a-day competition at the end of September and lasting until the second week of November, very often found that they had failed to make the hurdle of the dreaded hour examinations. Every year there were Freshman who had gone on probation at midyears as a result of getting behind in their studies during the football competition. As President Lowell used to say to the incoming Freshman class, "the man who fails November hours is beaten before he starts."

The new system, however, produces a keener and much shorter competition for the position of Varsity Football Manager. Three weeks work in the Spring, followed by eight weeks in the Fall is all that is required, and a turnout of twenty or thirty men will allow each man a certain number of days off. Thus the competition will be shorter and more efficient, with sufficient time left for academic requirements. Executive ability will be developed by increased responsibility, and the candidates will be given opportunity to organize their own work.

The length and difficulty of the football competitions at Harvard have long been subjected to adverse criticism from the Dean's office and the H. A.A., and a new system had to be evolved. This excellent arrangement should increase the interest of the undergraduate body in the competition and insure a large turnout this Spring.