AT HOME IN THE HOUSES

In face of the masters' determination to give the cross-section plan a long trial period, University Hall must make the plan a reality. Under present conditions a general exodus of certain groups occurs at the end of sophomore year and deprives the houses of their truly representative character. The simplest way to keep these men in the houses would be ultimately to discard cross-sections altogether. But the present generation in college may still enjoy the benefits of genuine cross-sections if the houses can be made attractive enough to draw in the men that now prefer to live outside.

The loss of men to Mt. Auburn Street accounts for the somewhat strile conditions of the houses. These men, while not primarily interested in house affairs, definitely contribute to life in the houses and make them in fact, as well as name, cross-sections of the college community. But experience shows that the pressure of outside expenses is more than they care to bear, and the inevitable decampment leaves the houses without an important part of their essential constituency.

The petition asking a special breakfast rate shows beyond a doubt that many who board outside prefer to live in the houses. Though such men as a rule comprise the wealthiest group in the college, to offer them a breakfast rate based on actual food costs cannot be regarded as an unfair privilege for the rich, particularly when the advantages of having them in the houses are considered. Furthermore the college does not stand to lose, as lunch and dinner would be served at the regular charges.

If the cross-section as conceived by President Conant, are ever to come to life the university must let down the bars to the men who prefer to take only a few meals in the dining halls. An equitable breakfast rate would be a long step forward. Some such consideration is needed to make the houses financially attractive to those who eat outside, and a concession of this sort might pave the way for a successful solution of the problem within the cross-section ideal.