VARSITY WILL ADOPT SHIFT, SAYS HARLOW ON EVE OF PRACTICE

Every Man Will Have Equal Chance for Any Job; Paper Reputations Will Do No Good

Harvard's varsity football eleven, 1936 model, will operate its offensive attack from a shift, Coach Dick Harlow revealed last night on the eve of spring practice.

"Fundamentals were all we had time for last season," said Harlow, "Now we are ready to branch out and expand our attack. Last year just before the Yale game we were only where the Dartmouth squad was after their spring practice. This year we hope that will be changed."

The New Shift

The new shift and its effect on the offensive strength aroused considerable speculation. Last season the Crimson operated from the straight wing-back. "It will all come out after we're scouted", said the coach smilingly.

Practice officially gets under way tomorrow afternoon in the Briggs Cage, but equipment will be issued all this afternoon from the Supply room of Dillon. The work-outs will be held in the cage until vacation, and will consist mainly to setting-up exercises and signal drill.

"Absolutely not one of the eleven first team positions is filled, and no one should stay away from practice with the idea that he hasn't a chance," Harlow emphasized. "Why, the best team I ever has at Colgate came right up from the scrubs. Soldiers Field is no place for anyone with an inferiority complex."

Real Spirit

The coaching staff feels decidedly encouraged over the spirit of the sqad. "We're looking for the eleven best men, and I don't mean the best men on paper," declared Harlow. "Men who didn't even make the Freshman or Jayvee squads last season will start out on the same footing with letter men tomorrow."

All Opponents Strong

All of Harvard's opponents were conceded to have strong teams, but it is a little early for any predictions about relative strength of squads. Freshman elevens of both Yale and Princeton were both strong and undoubtedly they will find other, untapped sources before the season starts.