The Cambridge Letter

By Peter Hume

The Varsity Weekly

This has been a quiet week after the excitement of the Lents. Even the weather, while remaining uniformly unpleasant, has provided no vagaries singular enough to write about. Parties are frequent and often Hilarious, but they can hardly be of international interest. Parties are being made up to go to all parts of Europe during next vacation, which so suddenly seems almost upon us. An epidemic of German measles is sweeping the University and making the best of friends frightened to converse with each other at less than two yards range. It is also wreaking havoc in the various casts which are assembled for the amateur plays which enliven the end of term. The Provost of King's College's production of Aristophanes' "Frogs" seems to have got under way today without serious depletion, but the grand production of "Julius Caesar," which the Marlowe Society and the A. D. C. are jointly preparing for next week (with your compatriot, Mr. Max Millikan as Cassius) has already lost its Antony, not to mention its Soothsayer, and the producers are fearing that other members of the cast may have been infected at rehearsal. But the resources of the societies in the way of understudies are enormous, and whatever happens, the play will go on.

Anglo-American Society

One piece of news for you. An Anglo-American Society is in the process of formation here, in order still further to cement the bonds of friendship of the students of our nations. The details are as yet not finally settled, and the society is not going to start work until next term, but then I hope to be able to give you fuller particulars. So far the help of Sir Evelyn Wrench of the All Peoples Association has been obtained, and he has promised to interest the American Ambassador in London in the scheme. If a similar society were to be started in Harvard, cooperation between the two might have valuable results. If any of you are interested and feel that there is sufficient warrant for such an idea in your University, you should write to Mr. P. R. Noakes of Queens' College, who is sponsoring the Society.

But apart from this I must apologize for the purely local colour which events at Cambridge (ENG.) seem to have borne during the last week, and for the lack of matter in even so short a letter as this. We will both have better luck next week I hope.