BODY BEAUTIFUL

Dr. Bock's report on the continuation of compulsory physical exercises for student waiters embodies one important concession, which answers effectively the old argument that student waiters have not sufficient time to meet the Freshman physical requirements. In the future the exercise rules for all Freshmen will be abolished during the week before November hours, midyear and final examinations. This will allow three weeks before examinations and six weeks during the Exam periods, in which Freshmen may rejoice in stolid inactivity, with only a book in their hands to make the red corpuscles multiply or to get fresh air in the lungs. Looked at from this angle, Dr. Bock has been more than liberal in his concessions.

Dr. Bock also stated, drawing facts from the available statistics on the subject, that Freshman waiters for the last three years have done better scholastically than other Freshmen with the same admission averages, and that the percentage of failures were fewer. It is a well known fact that men who have a steady job or outside activity, such as managerial work, literary competitions, or even national youth movements, do much better on the average than those who merely eat and sleep their way through Harvard.

Since the figures show that student table-waiting plus the regulation physical exercise is not detrimental to a man's scholastic standing, there is no reason for discontinuing the present athletic requirement, a mere one-half hour, three times a week. It is doubtful if anyone has yet flunked out of college, solely because he was compelled to do a little wholesome exercise for 90 minutes out of the 10,080 minutes in the week.

Dr. Bock stated that regular periods of exercise have helped rather than hindered many men through a difficult period of readjustment. An enjoyable physical activity relieves the mind of worry, and by its healthful effect renders the actual study hours more efficient.