1800 CROWD SANDERS TO HEAR FINAL FROST TALK

400 Turned Away as Famous Poet Ends Norton Series With Discussion of Tests for Finished Poem

Robert Frost, in his valedictory appearance in Cambridge last night, drew the largest crowd which has been assembled under one roof at Harvard this year--when the white-haired Charles Eliot Norton lecturer ascended the restrum in Sanders Theatre at 8 o'clock, he faced a packed house of 1800 people.

400 Turned Away

Exceeding the regular capacity of Sanders by 500, this huge audience was jammed in the aisles, at the sides of the hall, and even along the edges of the lecture platform. So many wanted to hear the last lecture in the current Charles Eliot Norton series, entitled "After the End of a Poem," that fully 400 people had to be turned away.

Test for a Democrat

"I haven't pretended to establish a test for poetry," he said. "There is no test for poetry like that for a Democrat, which is very simple; if a man goes around proclaiming himself to be against trial by jury, and professing lack of faith in the intelligence of the common man, he is no Democrat.

"In any work of art, however, I care more for the separateness of its parts than for the connection between them," he continued. "The essential is that three or four lumps of experience, received at different times, shall be blended so that they shall appear as though they had always belonged together."