A PEACEFUL PEACE

In admitting the failure of peace strikes as organized in past years, the Harvard chapter of the American Student Union expresses the sentiment of the University with regard to collective action of all sorts.

There can be no more proper way in which to allow Harvard students to express their sincere sympathy for the cause than to put the meeting for once within the pale of respectability. The decision to let a well-organized parley in the soothing atmosphere of Sanders Theatre take the place of the unforgettable free-for-all on the Widener steps or other unhallowed ground should draw to the gathering the best elements of the anti-war movement.

To advocate peace may appear increasingly gratuitous, and yet the mounting feeling that something more definite than pious whisperings, like the sweet nothings of current United States neutrality legislation, should be accomplished deserves every opportunity for expression.

In its choice of speakers the committee for the peace strike has exercised similar restraint and good judgment. A few thoughts given by men like Mr. Darvall and Professor Prall can do immeasurably more good than all the histrionics of the barbarian hordes who have traditionally poured forth from between the pillars of Widener or the porch of Memorial Hall.

The circus has passed by, and Harvard hecklers may miss their yearly field-day, in which the collection of human emotions embraced practically everything but peace. A respectable demonstration in favor of peace will do much to dispell the clouds of ill-repute which have so often surrounded the cause at Harvard in the past.