HISTORY 2

In the past few years many courses at Harvard have become so dominated by the personality of the lecturer that the underlying faults in class organization and in the technical aspects such as examinations have been completely neglected, and a particularly vivid example is History 2.

So engrossed have successive classes become in the absorbing lectures of William Langer that they have gradually come to submit themselves like drugged sheep to a hapless system of oral examinations which more nearly approach Prussian police methods than conferences in a civilized and modern university. Students are rushed through these meetings, summarily quizzed upon a few abstruse features of a highly complicated period, and as quickly dismissed to make room for the next man. Like machine parts in a factory, they are hastily examined for imperfections, and then cast back into the wash.

The basic fault lies in the niggardly provision for but two assistants to examine over one hundred fifty men. This task in itself is overwhelming and naturally thankless, and its very enormity precludes any opportunity for personal attention, or the chance to spend either more or less time with certain students. With the outlook for an increased budget for next year extremely slim, the obvious solution is a return to the tried and tested system of hour examinations. These undoubtedly have their faults, but compared to the abject failure which the present system of "personal contact" has proven in History 2, almost anything would be infinitely preferable. Hours examinations should be inaugurated as soon as possible. With their inception, History 2 should prove as nearly perfect a course as can be found.