HARVARD'S SOCIAL PROBLEM

Now that the Freshman applications for rooms in the Houses are safely deposited in the hands of the Central Committee, it is time for the class of '39 to consider what they intend to gain and contribute to the general success of the House Plan. The cross-section as interpreted at the present time has been unsuccessful. Although it is valuable for students of all types to intermingle, the regimentation of the plan has defeated its original purposes, by forcing a large number of students out of the Houses into "rabbit-warrens" on Mt. Auburn and Plympton Streets. Restrictions placed upon the number of men from each social group allowed to enter the Houses has led to this extremely deplorable situation, and the University must realize that certain modifications will have to be made, if the main goal of the cross-section is to be maintained.

At present it is very difficult for a group of men in excess of five or six persons to enter one House together. If they succeed, the chances are that they will not be allowed to live in connecting suites or in the same entry. The undesirable situation then arises where four men are in one entry, and four others in an entry across the quadrangle. Many of their best friends will be in another House, totally segregated from their former associates. This unfortunate policy has resulted in mass migrations of social groups out of the Houses into rooms where they can enjoy the society of one another without interference from the college.

The college, however, realizes the essential value of the cross-section plan, if it is not applied too rigorously. Thus, it has been suggested that larger groups of friends be admitted to a House within the cross-section. Twenty or thirty men should be allowed to enter a House and occupy two adjacent entries with connecting fire-doors between rooms. But more men of the same type and social group should be assigned to another House, so that the eventual set-up would be one where each House had groups of twenty or thirty, which would be representative of the various categories of individuals in Harvard College. Each group in a House as a unit could contribute what its type had to offer to the University, and thus maintain the cross-section with its desirable features.

As the past few years have shown, minute splitting-up of groups is disastrous, since men are constantly going outside the House to see their friends, and destroying the unity which each House is supposed to possess. House spirit will be aided if the men in the House have no reason to spend their time elsewhere, or move out altogether.