HARVARD ENCOUNTERS STIFF OPPOSITION IN ITS ANNUAL G. B. I. MEET

R. I. STATE HAS A WORLD'S RECORD HOLDER IN FOLWARTSHNY

Holy Cross and Rhode Island State track teams form a more serious threat to Harvard domination in the Greater Boston Intercollegiate Track and Field Meet in the Stadium on Saturday, April 25 than the Crimson has ever had in the six years of competition since the games were started.

Rhode Island has an exceptionally brilliant bunch of weight men, headed by Irving Folwarthshny and William Rowe, each of whom is potentially capable of ten foot more in the hammer throw than Norm Cahners, top Harvard man who hurled it 162 feet in the recent handicap meet. Folwarthshny also has a world record to his credit in the 35-pound weight throw, won in winter competition.

Crimson Weak in Dashes

Harvard's lead whittled down in the field events by these two men, as well as by a corps of discus, shotput, and javelin men, will be further decreased by the Holy Cross runners. In Walter Janiak and Larry Scanlon the Purple has two of the speediest dashmen in New England for the 100-meter and furlong events. Nothing was seen in the Stadium last Saturday to give Harvard much grounds for optimism in these two events.

In addition to these two men there is a pair of snappy quarter-milers in Albert Bates and Bert Graham, who are being prominently mentioned for the one-two spots in this meet. This event also is one of Harvard's weakest. Lack of strong quarter milers has been one of the things that have added grey hairs to Jaako's head this past winter.

Crusaders Compete in Shot

They also have a fine pair of shot-putters, but in this event Rhode Island and Holy Cross will be cutting each other's throats and whatever happens Harvard will gain.

Other colleges in the Meet are Tech, Boston College, Northeastern, and possibly Boston University. All these colleges and Tufts besides, if plans come out right, will compete in the Freshman events.

This meet opens the outdoor track season for Boston and starts active Olympic competition.