TENNIS TEAM OPPOSES AMHERST NETMEN TODAY

Match Marks Opening of Home Season After Even Break of Racquetmen on Southern Trip

After a two-week layoff since the southern trip, the Harvard Varsity tennis team will oppose the Amherst netmen this afternoon on the Divinity field courts. The Crimson were defeated by Pennsylvania, 6 to 3, in the opening match in the southland, but whitewashed Navy, 9 to 0, in the second.

Thackera Has Hands Full

Coach Cowles' veteran aggregation should not experience difficulty with Amherst in spite of C. L. Winston, the crack number 1 man of the visitors. The latter, however, may prove too powerful for Jim Thackera, who also has a hard match coming with Paul Guibord of Dartmouth. The Big Green will invade the Crimson's courts on Saturday.

All the singles positions are unchanged. Jimmy Glidden, of squash fame, will play number two. Carl Helmholtz will see action at number three, and Gordie Robertson will held down the fourth singles position. Bob Bentley and Jim Fuld complete the singles team. The doubles position will set be decided until the singles results are soon.

The Freshman racketmen will open their season on Saturday with a home match against Exeter.