Repeal of Oath Law Beaten in House by 133-88 Before Jammed Galleries

Long, Government Instructor, Claims Jesuits Officially Oppose Oath Law

Opponents of the Oath Bill were defeated in their initial attempts at repeal by a vote of 133 to 88 in the House of Representatives yesterday.

Before the vote was taken Norton E. Long, instructor in Government, spoke, telling of the position of the Catholic Church on the bill. Considerable doubt was held in this quarter because of the open support of Father I. J. Corrigan, S.J., of the Boston College Faculty.

Long reported the results of an interview of his with Father Phelan, secretary of the diocese, who declared that Father Corrigan's stand was purely personal. Father Ahearn, speaking for the Jesuit order said that the official position of that body was still hostile to the oath.

Packed Galleries Await Vote

After this information, the vote was taken which sustained the Oath Bill for the time being. The vote was taken before galleries packed an hour before the opening of the session.

The specific bill on which the House voted was one on petition by the Massachusetts Council of Teachers Unions of the American Federation of Labor asking for repeal of the Oath Bill. The original bill was passed in 1935.

Representatives Dillon and Dorgan led the fight against repeal in the House yesterday, Dorgan flaying the teachers who took the oath originally with reservations.