PEACE IS SUBJECT OF TALKS BY NYE, THOMAS TONIGHT

Problems of National Security and War Prevention Will Be Discussed; Question Period Afterward

An intensive college-wide campaign for the furtherance of world peace will get under way tonight when Senator Gerald P. Nye of North Dakota and Norman Thomas, prominent Socialist, address the student body in a program sponsored by the Harvard Student Union.

With Arthur N. Holcombe '06, professor of Government, acting as chairman, the meeting will be held at 8 o'clock this evening in the New Lecture Hall. Stephen V. N. Powelson '38 will speak briefly about the aims and ideals of the H. S. U.

Choosing the general subject of world peace and national security as the main topic of the evening, the well known opponent of private arms manufacture will join with America's leading Socialist in an informal discussion of contemporary problems in the national and international spheres.

The speeches will take the form of a symposium rather than a debate. At the conclusion there will be opportunity for questions.

With the third National Anti-War Strike scheduled to be held here on Wednesday, April 22, it is fairly certain that both speakers will devote considerable attention to this movement. In regard to college peace mobilizations, Thomas last year declared that "any peace movement, in order to be successful, must have an evidence of drama and purpose behind it."

This evening's meeting marks the initial entrance of the Harvard Student Union into active participation in undergraduate affairs.