HARVARD MEN NAMED TO ACADEMY OF SCIENCES

Highest Scientific Honor in United States Extended to Professors Forbes and Walsh

Washington, D.C. -- Alexander Forbes '04, associate professor of Physiology, and Joseph L. Walsh '16, professor of Mathematics, were elected members of the National Academy of Sciences at the annual meeting here this week. Membership in the Academy is generally considered the highest scientific honor in the United States.

Professor Forbes, who has made highly significant contributions to knowledge of the physiology of the nervous system, has written numerous scientific articles for the American Journal of Physiology.

For eight years he has been president of the George Junior Republic Association at Freeville, New York, whose founder, Mr. George, died last Saturday. Professor Forbes is at present engaged in expanding the work of the institution.

Professor Walsh, for several years a lieutenant in the United States Naval Reserve Force, has done important work in the field of approximation by polynomials and rational functions. In 1920-21 he studied in Paris as the holder of a Sheldon Fellowship. Following a year here as an assistant professor, he studied in Munich for a year as an International Research Fellow.