ADAMS CUP SOUGHT BY HARVARD, PENN, NAVY

NAVY PENN TWO OF BEST SPRINT CREWS IN EAST

Hoping to break the spell of the jinx that has reigned over it thus far, Whiteside's Varsity eight will make a determined try for the Adams Cup in the Basin tomorrow against perhaps the two best crews on Eastern waters. Penn and Navy, with tech rowing by invitation but ineligible for the Cup, will line up alongside the Crimson shell and during the nine minutes that follow the stomach-twisting words "Are you Ready. Ready All. Row!", the unofficial sprint championship of the Eastern States will be won, as well as the Adams trophy.

Penn's Trophy Twice

Penn has carried off the Adams Cup twice in the three years since it was given, and the record of the Quaker boat this year gives every indication that they stand a good chance of making it three out of four. Navy, since its initial defeat by Columbia, has developed rapidly and last week defeated the Tiger eight which trimmed the Harvard outfit the week before Columbia took it.

Hope for Smooth Water

On paper the Crimson chances against two such good crews are not so good, but it is an undeniable fact that the rough water, particularly in the Columbia race when the Harvard boat had three or four inches of water in it when it reached the bridge, has prevented Captain Clark's outfit from getting a fair trail under average conditions. During the past week Whiteside has been endeavoring to remedy the washing out or light finish which appeared to be one of the main faults in the Columbia race. The crew is in fine condition, with divisional over, and with good water should be able to perform creditably in what will be an exceptional regatta.

Fifties to Race at Nassau.

The Varsity lightweights will also enter the big time competition tomorrow with the Goldthwaite Cup Race at Lake Carnegie against Yale and Princeton. The lightweights have a good crew and the distance from Cambridge may help them to break loose and prove their worth