The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Basketball's Dean

SCHOLARLY in another sense is Dr. Forrest C. (Phog) Allen, director of athletics at the University of Kansas. In 1903 he was playing basketball with the Kansas Athletic Club, and his team defeated a University of Kansas five coached by the founder of the game, Dr. James Naismith.

The next year Phog entered the University and immediately laid a firm hand, as student coach, on its basketball destinies. In the next 26 years he produced 20 conference championships, with only occasional interruptions while he coached championship teams at Baker University and Missouri State Teachers College.

When Dr. W. E. Meanwell of Wisconsin gave up basketball, Phog became dean of the game in the United States. A month ago the Universals of Hollywood were picked to represent America in the Olympics, the first time basketball has been an Olympic Sport. This was Dr. Allen's doing, as head of the committee on basketball. One of Phog Allen's most successful books is called the Basketball Bible, and such it has been for many a coach of the sport in the world.