Association of Harvard Chemists, Unique Group of Chemically Minded Graduates, Asks Members

Organization of Over 1700 Men Aids Chem Library and Places Members

With the academic year drawing to a close, the annual appeal of the Association of Harvard Chemists for graduating seniors to become-members, draws attention to this unique organization.

Boasting a membership of over 1700 men, the Association includes all graduates, and all those who have taken any work here, with an interest in chemistry. Thus anyone with either a professional, or intellectual interest in the subject is eligible.

Biggest Library Fund

The Association contributes the biggest fund of any received for the maintenence and growth of the Chemical Laboratory library of over 22,000 volumes, and maintains an Employment Committee, headed by Grinnell Jones, professor of Chemistry, which places graduate Harvard chemists in positions all over the country.

Twice a year, at the meetings of the American Chemical Society the Association holds luncheon gatherings at which a member of the Faculty explains the changes that have taken place in the department here. Beyond that a few special meetings are held in Cambridge from time to time.

Tercentenary Meeting

On September 17 a meeting will be held in conjunction with the Tercentenary celebration, to provide a meeting place for all the members who return to Cambridge at that time.

All graduating Seniors who have concentrated in Chemistry join the Association. Dues are voluntary, but Louis Fieser, associate professor of Chemistry, and Secretary-Treasurer of the Association states that the annual contributions from members are "excellent".

Professor Fieser believes that the organization is unique in the college. The Engineering Society does relatively similar work, but the Geological Club, rigidly excludes faculty men from its councils, and does not continue its work among men who are no longer connected with the University.

The officers, aside from Jones and Fieser, of the Association of Harvard Chemists are: Lawrence P. Hall '19, President; Charles R. Hoover, First Vice-President; and Charles D. Lowry, Second Vice-President. Hall is professor of chemistry at the University of Wisconsin and was formerly on the staff here.