TUTORIAL SYSTEM MAY BE CHANGED BY NEW COMMITTEE

Committee's Investigation Will Be Given President in Fall--Final Say by Faculty Council

Mr. Conant has asked a small group of faculty members to look into the present set-up of the tutorial system and to make a confidential report on possible modifications which might be made on the system it was learned yesterday at University Hall.

Following the not inconsiderable amount of discussion which has been heard around the College during the past year about tutorial, its weaknesses, and financial problems involved, the President has decided to investigate conditions with an eye to instituting some change.

The names of the Committee were not made public at Mr. Conant's office, but it is understood that they will make a report early in the Fall after the Tercentenary Celebration. A report from such a committee is handed direct to the President, and no action need necessarily be forthcoming. If anything is done on the matter, Mr. Conant would have the initiative and would submit recommendations to the Faculty Council which would have the final say on the matter.

It is a known fact at the moment that tutors in many Departments are grossly over-worked because of the number of tutees they are caring for. Further, due to financial limitations, a great many of the present tutors have no chance of advancement. On the other side, educational arguments for some modification are brought forward on the justification that many men do not derive any benefit from their tutors and that some would prefer not to work with a tutor.