DODGING THE ISSUE

In expressing its regret over the severance of Harvard-Yale boxing relations, the Yale News shows itself unwilling to face the unpleasant state of affairs' as it actually exists. It is all very well to talk of the immemorial relations of the two universities on the field of sport, but this is not enough to overshadow the injustice done Harvard on March 7.

Tacitly upholding the policies of Mr. Farmer and Coach King, the News makes an attempt to escape a subtle impeachment of Harvard's position in the case. Where the Yale paper got the startling information that Harvard has always advocated the "point system" is one of those mysteries eternally cropping up in New Haven, but there is no evidence here that such an attitude was ever taken by the Harvard Athletic Association.

Harvard is being neither "drastic" nor "stupid" in taking this step. It is not as if great efforts at reaching an understanding had not been made. The failure of the conference with Yale, and the statement of National Collegiate Athletic Association, not only vindicate Harvard's action but make any reconsideration of the case under present circumstances impossible.

The only insurance against this poisoning of relations spreading throughout the system is for Yale to admit the source of trouble. Coach King's questionable interpretation of athletic rules and Mr. Farmer's reluctance to see any side of a question but his own, have forced Harvard into this unhoped-for and regrettable position.