Crimson Convention Delegate Visages Steiwer as Vice - Presidential Nominee

Keynoter Wakes Republicans With Fiery Denunciation of New Deal Policies

CLEVELAND, Ohio, June 9 -- Delivering a stinging condemnation of the New Deal in a keynote address that they well carry him to the Vice-Presidential nomination, Senator Frederick Stewer of Oregon virtually swept the Republican Convention off its feet tonight when he declared that an "aroused" American, casting out all doubt, will vindicate the faith of the fathers."

Senator Stelwer's keynote address, delivered to a packed convention hall of over 19,000 people, was received with tumultons enthusiasm. The perfunctory, almost lethargic sprit of the routine morning session, was gone tonight, and the delegates and visitors were in a victorious, cheering mood.

Stelwer, installed as temporary chairman of the convention just prior to his address, listed nine fundamental principles of the "American system." Among them was the provision for an honest money and banking system, the restoration of the balance between farm and industrial income, the abolition of laws which seek to eliminate either profit or loss, abolition of governmental competition with private business, and the elimination taxation for the maintenance of a vast bureaucracy, and the avoidance of foreign entanglements.

Bitterly attacking the Roosevelt administration's handling of the relief problem, Steiwer said, "The Republican party will not turn its back on these in distress, but it will make sure that public funds voted to feed hungry months will be used for that purpose and will not be employed for the enrichment of political straphangers."

As the way out of the depression Steiwer maintained that the need of old fashioned thrift was the most important of all.

Steiwer's address climaxed a day of important developments here. Governor Alf Landon's bandwagon, temporarily halted by the refusal of the big Pennsylvania and New York delegations to pledge complete support of the Kansan, forged head when the results of an informal poll of the delegates taken by newspapermen became known. London was critical with 486 votes on the first ballot not counting many of the so called 'favorite son" states which are expected to switch to him. Horah was given approximately 70 votes and Know about the same number in the poll.