WALTER B. BRIGGS REPLACES POTTER AS LIBRARY HEAD

Becomes Librarian-Emeritus; Served in Widener Since Graduation in 1889; Librarian for Eight Years

After 48 years of service with the University. Alfred C, Potter '89, has announced his retirement as Librarian of the College Library. Mr. Potter has held his present post for eight years although before he became Librarian he had worked in Widener for 40 years, ever since his graduation. He will become Librarian Emeritus.

One Year Post

His place will be taken by Walter B. Briggs, at present assistant librarian in charge of the Reference and Circulation Department. Mr. Briggs will act as Librarian for only one year. Like Mr. Potter, Briggs has served in the library since he left college, although for several years he was the librarian of Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, returning to Widener during the War

The Librarian has charge of purchasing all books, current and ancient, and is in charge of financial activities aggregating about $341,000. Of this, almost $90,000 is spent for new books every year and another $17,000 for binding pamphlets, leafiest, catalogues, etc., and for re-binding worn out volumes. Of the total income of over a quarter million dollars, the University collects nickel fines from students to the extent of about $400 every year. It also has a constant expenditure for gas of $.53 encoded in this $341,000 budget: