Information Bureau Set Up in Straus to Handle Inquiries on 300th Lodging

1000 Rooms for Alumni Use Already Found in Environments of Cambridge

Forestalling the inevitable question from all quarters, what's to become of the 10,000 alumni who flock here for the three Tercentenary Days next fall, the University has hung out a sign on the door of the Straus Hall Common Room advertising a Bureau of Information and Lodgings.

Where are they going to live? Where are they going to eat? Is the University able to put them up? Are Harvard Square and its environments adequate to absorb so many? Will the alumni have to stay at Boston hotels and go back there to lunch?

All the answers are to be provided in detail by the Tercentenary Office's recently established service in Straus Hall.

Unfortunately the University itself can't be as hospitable as it would like due to the fact that undergraduates will also attend the festivities and will be living in the undergraduate dormitories during this period.

In the absence of lodgings at the University the Bureau is conducting a local research and has already uncovered 1,000 rooms in Cambridge. The list of these suites with their rates, together with a record of Greater Boston, Brookline, and Cambridge hotels, has been printed and is available in reply to inquiries on the subject of a night's rest.

All alumni who have specified on return postals, inclosed with their invitations, that they desire such information, are being sent the following material;

1. To those who asked for information about lodgings: a double postcard listing three addresses in Cambridge, at any one of which accommodations may be obtained. It is requested that the return postcard be detached and mailed to the Bureau, giving the address where accommodations have been obtained, the number in the party, the method of travel, and the expected duration of the stay.

2. To those who asked for information about hotels: The hotel list, plus the return postcard, asking for the items of information detailed above.

3. To those who asked for information on hotels and lodgings: three addresses of Cambridge lodging houses, the hotel list, and the return postcard.

If the Bureau wishes to succeed in its undertakings, it is of course through the early cooperation of the alumni, many of whom, and in despite of the Bureau, will probably arrive in Cambridge at the last moment to become lost and except for their beards one with the incoming Freshmen.

In regard to food the Bureau has also conducted a careful survey of the local eating places, about 30 of which have been located in Harvard Square and its environments. These establishments, it is felt, are sufficient to absorb the extra numbers at the time of the Celebration.

Furthermore, many of the hotels will be able to provide breakfasts and dinners, while on Thursday, September 17, and on Friday, September 18, luncheons open to all alumni, are to be held on the Memorial Hall Delta. Each will be at a price of $.50, the first under the auspices of the Associated Harvard Clubs and the second of the Alumni Association.