Harvard Student Council Acts as Link Between Undergraduates and College

By John B. Bowditch

The Harvard Student Council was founded in 1908 "to cooperate thoroughly with the faculty in raising the general intellectual standard, to bring the governing bodies of the University expressions of undergraduate opinion, and to cooperate with the Athletic Committee."

The Student Council continues today with more or less the same general purpose. Its duties and services are many. In the first place it guarantees the financial success of all Freshman extra-curricular activities, such as dances, the Red Book (the annual yearbook), etc. This year a fund has been set up for the use of the Freshmen at any time. This fund can be borrowed to start any project, the money to be returned later. Further, a donation is made of $300 to defray the expenses of the annual Freshman Smoker.

It supports local Cambridge charities. In the past such organizations as the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, or the Tuberculosis Commission were in the habit of canvassing students for funds. The Council has made an arrangement with such organizations whereby they will not do this canvassing but will be paid by the Student Council in behalf of the student body. This saves the students from the bother of continually being asked for contributions, and further, the Council is in a position to investigate the individual charity before money is given.

Further, the Student Council supports Phillips Brooks House with a large donation. P. B. H. does a great deal of welfare work during the year. Scholarships are given to needy students who are not eligible for aid from the University. All Class elections, Album elections, etc., are paid for, and any other expense incurred in the interests of the undergraduate body are taken care of.

At registration each year, the Council collects pledges from all undergraduates to defray these expenses. All members of the Class of 1940 will be asked to contribute as large a sum as possible. Remember that a great part of this money will be used for Freshman activities.

The Council can also be very useful to you in taking before the College authorities any questions which may be raised. Even though a personal question, do not hesitate to ask a member of the Council about it. A pamphlet giving the names of the members as well as the purposes, duties, services, history, and constitution of the Council will be given you at registration.