WHERE CREDIT'S DUE

Some idea of the executive task behind the arrangements for the Tercentenary may be had when it is realized that for two full years preparations have been going on for a celebration less than three months long. Knowing the nature of the work ahead and the inevitable problems that would arise, the corporation loaded the burden upon the capable shoulders of Jerome D. Greene.

Behind the obvious work of remaking the Yard into a theater worthy of Harvard's jubilee, there was an amount of detail and protocol that can scarcely be imagined. On an occasion when correctness must be the First Commandment there was a discouraging lack of precedents to follow. Harvard had never before played host in such lavish fashion, and the rules had to be made up as the game went along. It is certain that Mr. Greene on several occasions must have longed to sit down and write a letter beginning, "Dear Emily Post. . ."

Although Mr. Greene was provided with a willing and able staff, the countless decisions and plans had to be made at the desk of the manager himself. Being the keystone of such a vital series of events as the Tercentenary is a position of unique importance, and the authorities who placed the responsibility with Mr. Greene must applaud with us all the completed work.