Tercentenary Draws 2086 Undergrads Exceeding All Preliminary Estimates

Final Dinner for Delegates and Hosts Held in Harvard Club; Professor Rand Puns

Two thousand and eighty-six undergraduates registered for the Tercentenary Celebration according to final figures computed in the Undergraduate Office in the CRIMSON Building and the Freshman office in the Union.

Of these 1722 were members of the Classes of 1937, 1938, and 1939; 364 were Freshmen. 106 Yardlings occupied their new rooms in the Yard, while 258 lived at home.

Preliminary estimates of the crowd that would arrive never went over 1800, so that facilities were crowded and only just enough tickets were on hand.

Friday Activities

Events on the Undergraduate Program not previously recorded in the Tercentenary CRIMSONS took place on Friday afternoon.

Because the Alumni meeting was held indoors, most students contented themselves with listening on the radio, although Memorial Hall, Sever, and the University Theatre were packed with visitors.

Final Dinner

Three hundred and thirty-three hardy individuals, who were able to cough up the necessary $3.00, attended the Final Dinner held in the Harvard Club Friday evening. Cocktails were served in huge Harvard Hall (in the Harvard Club of Boston).

At 7.30 o'clock those sitting at the speakers table filed into the Hall, taking their seats on a raised dais. Among those present were Deans Hanford and Leighton, Roger B. Merriman '96, Master of Eliot House, Julian L. Coolidge '95, Master of Lowell House, Elliott C. Cutler '09, ex-president of the Associated Harvard Clubs, and Aldrich Durant '02, Business Manager of the University.

Speakers

Among the speakers were Thomas H. Quinn '36, toastmaster; Charles A. Watkins '09, chief aide for the Associated Harvard Clubs Meeting; Nikita Elisseeff, of the University of Paris; Frank P. McInnis, of the University of Toronto; Ian Harvey, of Oxford; A James Copp III, of Stanford; and Edward K. Rand '94, Pope Professor of Latin.

Professor Rand gave the principal speech of the evening; addressing the students as fellow alumni, he proved that they were really alumni, so short was their term as undergraduates in comparison with the age of the College. Chief pun of the evening was his witty declension of "California."

Ian Harvey, ex-head of the Debating Union at Oxford, was accorded the best reception as far as the Undergraduate speakers went. He talked amusingly of the rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge and incidentally the superiority of Oxford.