RULE FOR ATTENDANCE BEFORE, AFTER RECESS RECEIVES ALTERATION

Regulation Few Persons Understand Sole College Law Affected; New Act is Quoted Below

"Attendance at College exercises immediately before and after holidays" is the only regulation to receive material revision in the 1936-37 rules pamphlet.

The ordinance as it now reads is quoted below:

Freshmen and Sophomores

"Every Freshman and Sophomore not on the Dean's List and every student on probation is required to attend his last College exercise before and his first College exercise after the Christmas and April recess. Every student on probation is also required to attend his last College exercise before and his first College exercise after each one-day holiday, and every student in good standing is expected to do so. However, a student in good standing will not necessarily be placed on probation for cutting before and after one-day holidays, but such cuts will weigh heavily against him if his record becomes unsatisfactory.

Juniors and Seniors

"Every Junior and Senior not on the Dean's List is expected to attend his last College exercise before and his first College exercise after each holiday and recess, but a Junior or a Senior in good standing will not necessarily be placed on probation for cutting before and after a recess or a holiday, although such cuts will weigh heavily against him if his record becomes unsatisfactory."

It is a matter of common knowledge that no student has ever fully comprehended this, one of the most troublesome rules for College attendance. To see where the latest differs from earlier versions, it would be necessary to quote them likewise. No attempt at mere paraphrase could suffice.

Otherwise the Same

In other respects the famous little pamphlet, given out at registration and rarely seen thereafter, remains about the same as ever.

The most instructive piece of legislative writing is once more found on page 14, section 29, for Good Order, under Parietal Regulations:

"No musical instrument shall be played upon and no singing shall be allowed except between one o'clock in the afternoon and ten o'clock in the evening. No boisterous music or playing upon drums, or other harsh instruments, shall be allowed at any time."

SOLICITING ALL STUDENTS WARNED

All undergraduates are warned that no man is allowed to solicit unless he displays the official University badge granted by the Business Office. All solicitors are members of the University. A contract from an unofficial solicitor gives the signer absolutely no certainty of fair treatment.

Men who hold badges from either the Crimson, Lampoon, or Advocate may not solicit for laundry, pressing, et cetera unless they hold additional credentials. Violations of this rule should be reported immediately to the publication involved.