UPSWING AT THE BUSINESS SCHOOL

As the figures published in Saturday's Crimson show, the Business School has increased its enrollment during the past two years, and by a significant number each time. The business slump throughout the country, instead of causing a loss of confidence in the institution, has made the men of commerce realize that now more than ever professional training is necessary for an efficient handling of commercial affairs.

When President Lowell, in the face of much opposition, founded the Business School, the opportunity was given for an interesting display of intellectual snobbishness. Hidebound conservatives in the field of education refused to see in a graduate school for the training of business men anything more than another novelty which would perish at its first encounter with the "cold, cruel world" of business itself. Even now, many professors continue to regard Mr. Donham and his staff as coming from the "wrong side of the Charles River."

Experience has allayed all doubts concerning the advantages of a Business School training. Important corporations have been willing, and even anxious, to place the graduates recommended by Dean Donham. These apprentices have since shown their superiority over the untrained business man, and many now occupy high positions in the commercial life of the country. In addition to placing its graduates, the business men showed once again their confidence in the school, when this summer, after a lapse of four years, a special session for business executives was held.

Whether the New Deal stays or goes, it must be admitted that the era when American business was a "free lunch counter" can never return. Business is being played more and more according to rules, imposed from both within and without. The elements of luck and audacity count for less than they did in former times. In such a game a man thoroughly trained in the best tactics of the business world will achieve the highest score.