'I Do Not Believe a Foreign War Is Imminent," Kaltenborn Asserts In Viewing European Scene

He Claims Hitler's Army Chiefs Will Hold Him Back From War In Which He Can Not Win

"I do not believe that a foreign war is imminent," H. V. Kaltenborn '09, told the CRIMSON in an interview following his address to the Foreign Policy Association on Saturday afternoon.

Feeling the danger of a serious conflict has been greatly exaggerated, the well-known journalist and radio commentator clearly outlined his reasons for this unusually optimistic point of view.

"Italy has her belly full with Ethiopia," he said, "and in case of a war she would remain neutral. Russia has no desire for war. Hitler, should be desire war, would be stopped by his general staff, for no army wants to fight a war in which they haven't got a chance."

In the Far East, Kaltenborn feels that the danger of a Russo-Japanese clash, which in turn might spread to Europe, is steadily decreasing. In following the trend of Japanese expansion, he points out that there have been two routes open to Japanese armies, one to the North and one to the South, "And recently, the trend has been towards the South, where there can be no trouble with Russia."

As an example to show the way that the nations are avoiding war. Kaltenborn points to the Siberian peninsula "In this Spanish situation, there have been 16 different incidents that might have led to war. Germany isn't going to go out and tackle England, Russia and France without a major Europeanally. She isn't ready for war economically or politically. Of course, a Fascist victory in Spain will be a great boost for Fascism all over the world, and so the outcome in Spain will be a determining factor in the speed of liberal movements everywhere."