STILLMAN TAXED TO CAPACITY BY ATTACK OF COLDS

Arrangements Made for Care of Sick In College Rooms and Serving Food There to Patients

"There is nothing to get hectic about", stated Dr. Arlie V. Bock as sick students crowded Stillman Infirmary to capacity. A total of 62 members of the University are now being treated there.

Nothing but a neglected common cold is claimed to be responsible for this situation, there being no connection with the current epidemic of influenza which is now sweeping the country. To provide for students who are sick and who will not be able to go into Stillman, Dr. Bock has arranged that doctors visit the rooms of those who need treatment and care for them there. Arrangements for serving meals to these individuals in their rooms has also been made.

Dr. Bock Statement

Dr. Bock's statement on the prevailing state of affairs follows.

"Because of the very large amount of acute respitory infections among students of the University, it is not possible for the time being to accomdate all who need bed care in Stillman Infirmary. Beds there will usually be reserved for Freshmen and other students not having facilities for obtaining meals at the place of residence.

"It appears now that not all in these groups can be cared for at Stillman. As long as the present emergency exists, upon notification, doctors of the Hygiene staff will visit men in their rooms and arrangements have been made by Mr. Durant and Mr. Westcott to send food to such men upon recommendation of the doctor.

Extra Doctors

"Please do not report at Stillman Infirmary in person without the order of a physician of the staff to do so. Two added doctors are now in service and others will be obtained if necessary, but the Hygiene Department needs and asks for the cooperation of all concerned while the present state of affairs lasts. We see no reason for alarm about the situation, but there is need for caution and early care if complications following the primary infection are to be avoided.

"I won't admit there is a case of influenza here. Every case I have seen has been a neglected cold which is not the textbook idea of influenza. Goodness knows, we have had an explosion of some sort here.