ROOT-PITNEY TEAM WINS LAW CLUB COMPETITION

U.S. SOLICITOR-GENERAL ASKS FOR WINNING ARGUMENTS

In a climax case which excited lawyers of the country all the way up to the U. S. Solicitor General, Senior Law Clubs concluded their two years mock court Ames competition Friday night, with the members of the "Root-Pitney" club winning the palm as crack law team of the school.

In the presence of 750 spectators, the largest audience ever attracted to the Ames finals, the "Root-Pitney" lawyers successfully championed the rights of taxpayers to recover $2,000,000 worth of processing and floor taxes paid under the defunct A.A.A. Counsel for the government was the "Pow-Wow" club.

As an unscheduled feature of the finale, the participants were swamped with requests for their briefs from leading law firms in all parts of the country. One of these came from Stanley F. Reed Solicitor-General of the U. S., who will defend the government's case when the issue comes before the Supreme Court shortly.

"Root-Pitney" members who will divide the winner's check are W. Parmer Fuller and Gerald M. Trautman, speakers; and Clarence M. Condon, Bernard E. Drape, Robert S. Fougner, Leslie L. Roos Malcolm I. Ruddock, and Arthur L. Webber, all of whom worked on the brief.

"Pow-Wow" members who will receive the less substantial loser's check, are Dwight K. Parsons and Andrew S. Grey, speakers; and John G. Brooks, 2d., Samuel W. Earnshaw, John G. Hurd, Thomas W. Leidy, Frederic J. Poor, Jr., and Howard S. Whiteside, who worked on the brief.