Plans for Reunion of Class of 1912 Are Already Under Way

Benchley Bemoans Lack of Men In Class in Approved Style of John Tunis

Plans for the twenty-fifth reunion of the Class of 1912 were started under way with the appearance of the "Twelve Twenty-Five Express," first issue of the Class magazine. Other issues will appear in March and June.

A tentative schedule has been drawn up for the four days from June 21 to 24. It will comprise a 1912 show, dinners, dancing, outings, the "Pops" concert, confetti battle, and commencement exercise.

A committee has been selected, headed by Oscar W. Hausserman, with Thomas J. Campbell handling the publicity. Others on the committee are John Elliott, Robert L. Fisher, Hugh L. Gaddis, Arthur J. Goldsmith, Francis C. Gray, Curt E. Hanse, Joseph P. Kennedy, Ralph Lowell, Clarence B. Randall, Howard C. Reid, Thorvald S. Ross, Lawrence D. Smith, Richard B. Wigglesworth, Raymond S. Wilkins, and Dr. Paul R. Withington.

Sons of 1912 Included

Chairmen of the separate committees are Francis C. Gray, hospitality; Samuel Mixter, housing; Robert A. Whidden, registration; Thomas R. Goethals, food; J. Harold Parry, refreshments; Henry E. Reeves, transportation; Charles W. Hubbard, Jr. '37, manager of the track team, sons of 1912; Charles M. Storey, Symphony Hall; Arthur J. Kelly, insignia; Hans Miller, play; Heyliger deWindt, sports; Charles J. Fox, Yale game and stadium; James C. Trumbull, photographs; Norman R. Sturgis, art and literature; J. Gordon Gilkey, memorial service, and Thorvald S. Ross, field day.

The literature committee will collect all books and pamphlets written by members of the class. In addition to this collection, which will be presented to the library, a bibliography of all writings by members of the Class, including all magazine articles, will be collected.

A commencement marshal is being elected by mailed ballots, and will be announced shortly.

The first issue of the "Twelve Twenty-Five Express" contains an article by Robert C. Benchley, a member of the Class, as well as cartoons by his son, Nathaniel G. Benchley '38. Benchley's article, entitled "Sobering Statistics" is a satire on the articles of John Tunis '11, which appeared last year, criticizing the record of the Class of 1911.

The Giant Panda

Benchley's statistics reveal "that practically nothing of consequence has been accomplished by its members in a quarter of a century. The Class has produced only one Bishop of Albania, or, at any rate, only one who later became Prime Minister. Only one member of the Class has caught a Giant Panda. We have only one Weather Man who advocates the "frontal method" (three dimensions) over the "surface method" (two dimensions). In all these years, only one member has been elected Village Clerk of Hewlett Harbor, L. l."

There are also a number of "pessimistic personal statements muttered by members of the Class. 'I never married, but I can't see that I saved a nickel by it. 'My four years at Harvard were wasted. I still can't keep the top stud in my dress shirt'. 'No spik Englies.'"

There is also an article by Frederick Lewis Allen, author of "Only Yesterday," entitled "Just Twenty-five Years Ago" called from the files of the CRIMSON.

From "Twelve Tidbits" contains such items as "How old do you feel? Answer: Yes." "We sent a feature writer all the way to Rowayton, Connecticut, to interview John Tunis '11, and see if he wouldn't say something nice about our Class too. Found old John filing his teeth and oiling his typewriter, a beaker of vitriol handy. Our man put the question. John gave a passionate cry and burst into tears. No material."

Jean Harlow and Mac West

A request for pictures of daughters has so far brought in three of Jean Harlow, three of Mac West, and one of Gracie Allen.

The magazine also reveals that there are 55 sons of 1912 now in Harvard and that 14 men are on the faculty. They are James B. Munn, professor of English; Samuel Hazzard Cross, associate professor of Slavic Languages; George K. Gardner, professor of Law; Kenneth P. Kempton, instructor in English; Sam B. Warner, professor of penal legislation; Harry A. Wolfson, Nathan Littauer Professor of Jewish Literature and Philosophy; Ronald M. Ferry, master of Winthrop House; Charles F. Brooks, director of the Blue Hill Observatory; Thomas R. Goethals, associate in obstetrics; Paul Gustafson, assistant in obstetrics; Thomas H. Lanman, associate in surgery; Arthur W. Hanson, professor of accounting; Fabyan Packard, assistant professor of hygiene; James L. Peters, curator of birds; and Ralph Lowell a member of the Epilepsy Commission in the Medical School