The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

The Music Box

Coming Week Offers a Variety Of Interesting Musical Entertainment

The first of the eight concerts by the Boston Symphony in its Sanders Theatre series will be given tomorrow night at 8 o'clock. The program is the same as that given last week-end in Boston; but that does not detract from its charms. The Haydn Symphony in B flat (no. 102) which opens the concert is a masterpiece--Haydn at his very best. It is followed by Debussy's three descriptive sketches, "La Mer," and by Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.

Kreizier to Play

Fritz Kreisler, dean of all great violinists, is to give a recital on Sunday afternoon at 3.30 in Symphony Hall. The program includes Schumann's Fantasy in C major, Opus 131, (which Mr. Kreisler has been editing for several years), Bach's Sonata in G minor for violin alone, the second movement of Paganini's Second Concerto, and the Fantasy on Russian themes of Rimsky-Korsakov, arranged by Kreisler.

Week-end Symphony Concerts

The regular Friday and Saturday Symphony concerts of this week have an engrossing sound. Mozart's Symphony in A major, (Kochel no. 201), is the first number. Composed in 1774 when Mozart was 18 years old, it represents an important stage in the composer's development of the symphonic form. Despite the comparatively tender age at which it was written, the work can hardly be classed as an early one for Mozart wrote his first symphony when eight years old. This will be followed by "Les Offrandes Oubliees" by Olivier Messiaen, a young French composer and one of four in a new Parisian group which calls itself "La Jeune France." The work was composed in 1931.

The tone poem, "Don Juan," by Richard Strauss is also on the program. Written in 1887-88, it portrays not Byron's, but Nicolaus Lenau's Don Juan--a hero who longed for the ideal woman and failed to find her. Sibelius's Fifth Symphony is a fitting close to this fine concert.

Other Musical Events

Ted Shawn and his company of male dancers are to appear in Symphony Hall tonight, presenting a variety of solo and ensemble numbers. The group has recently had quite spectacular successes on the West Coast. Another event is the performance of Cesar Frank's choral masterpiece, "The Beatitudes," by the Federal Music Project tonight and tomorrow night at Jordan Hall. This work is rarely given and should be well worth hearing.