TOWARDS BETTER ORGANIZATION

Widener would have more and better reading lists if instructors knew how much of an aid they are towards getting a bull dog-like grip on the material of a course. It is not hard for a teacher to post at the library a copy of his own outline of the term reading and lectures, tying the one to the other. Presently, nonetheless, only twenty one courses issue any sort of a list to Widener or Boylston, and a mere handful of these wholly show the connection between the reading assignments and lectures. The men in Economics 61a, Government 1 and History 1, and like courses appreciate the care which the instructors take to fluence should transcend the membership lines print outlines of the work; in many other instances the only usable chart of the ground covered is to be bought at the tutoring schools.

It is not enough for a teacher to mumble a few words about the reading at the start or end of an occasional lecture. By cutting a few lectures men can miss the assignments altogether, and often those on hand get garbled versions. As courses come to use greater numbers of books and various lecturers, the need for correlated reading lists cries out louder; Economics 2a and 41 are specific cases where review for the examination would be immeasureably helped by a full printed outline. Meeting the students half way in this matter will not reduce the standards of learning a whit, but during the cramming season, it will make the men less dependent on outside sources.