AGGASIZ SUCCEEDS TAUSSIG AS CHIEF OF 70,000 ALUMNI

Agassiz, Benefacter of Museum of Comparative Zoology, is Grandson of Its Founder

George Russell Agassiz '84, a former president of the Board of Overseers, was elected president of the Alumni Association at a meeting of the association held at the Harvard Club Monday night.

Mr. Agassiz succeeds Frank W. Taussig, Henry Lee Professor of Economics, emeritus. The Alumni Association contains some 70,000 members throughout the world.

His grandfather, Louis Agassiz, was the founder of the Museum of Comparative Zoology in 1859. His father, Alexander Agassiz, also took part in the museum's affairs from 1860 until 1910. Mr. Agassiz himself has been one of the chief advisors and benefactors of the museum, and had also sponsored considerable research at the Astronomical Conservatory.

Two vice-presidents were also elected for three year terms, they are Phillip C. Staples '04, of Philadelphia, and William C. Batchelder '05, of Chicago. Staples is president of the Bell Telephone Company of Pennsylvania and a former president of the Harvard Club of Philadelphia. Batchelder is commercial vice-president of the General Electric Company, central district, and a former president of the Harvard Club of Chicago.

Henry C. Clark '11 of Prides Crossing was reelected general secretary and treasurer of the association.

Batchelder was also chosen head of the Committee to nominate overseers, directors, and members of the Harvard Fund Council. New members of this Committee are Duncan G. Harris '00, of New York, who is also a director of the Alumni Association, Richard C. Curtis '16, of Boston, and Joseph S. Clark, Jr. '23, of Philadelphia.

Continuing members of this Committee are George W. Martin '10, of New York, James H. Lowell '14, of Boston, Franklin E. Parker, Jr. '18, of New York, Francis Parkman, '19, of Southboro, and Lawrence Coolidge '27, of Boston.