The Moviegoer

Cambridge Is Honored With The First Excellent Double Feature In Some Time

By V. F.

There's no need to review the University's program for Thursday, Friday and Saturday unless it is necessary to say that one of the best double feature programs that has ever come this way is now playing.

"Topper" with Cary Grant, Constance Bennett and Roland Young tells the story of two amusing reprobates who acquire the rather disconcerting habit of shuffling off this mortal coil at will. Mr. Grant and Miss Bennett resolve to do one good deed before they knock at the pearly gates, deciding to transform Mr. Young, America's foremost Babbit into America's number one play-boy. Combining the photographic tricks of "The Invisible Man" with a new freshness entirely its own, the film rates as tops in humor; the only adverse criticism is that perhaps "Topper" is a little too much of a good thing.

The second film is "Love Under Fire" featuring Lorotta Young and Don Ameche. Mr. Ameche's head appears to be queerly warped, but the delightful Miss Young doesn't seem to mind.

Dealing with a rather complicated plot of jewel swiping and necklace swapping, the picture is none the less sufficiently clear for pleasure. Though a bit tedious at times, "Love Under Fire" is a strong backer to a strong forerunner. Orchids to the U. T., then, for a program of definite worth at a time when first rate entertainment seems a thing of the past.