NAVY SPECIAL

Not only is a special train carrying the Harvard football team to Baltimore, but it is a special Harvard team. Despite all statements and predictions to the contrary by sportswriters tired of watching the Crimson go down to defeat after defeat, Harlow's eleven men are due for a major victory. For three years they have labored with gridiron fundamentals; by now these have certainly been absorbed. For three years they have been learning smart, deceptive football; by now enough experimentation has been expended on such teams as Princeton, Yale, and Springfield to produce the result of victory. Whether Harvard will win tomorrow is as important as the fact that it is capable of doing so.

Harlow's 1937 model goes to play Navy with the sincere and even enthusiastic encouragement of the undergraduates. The near approach to victory at the end of last season instilled the germ of a feeling of support, as close to the word "spirit" as Harvard dares to come, into every fan. The hope began to be expressed that perhaps Harvard was on the verge of a renascence of football prestige. That hope has not died; it has not yet bad the chance to be tested, but will be pitted Saturday against the strength of a powerful Navy team. Although Harlow can send no self-made Kelley nor a brilliant Barry Wood against tomorrow's foe, he is sending a team worthy of the name, well-qualified to play well, to play for success.