UNIVERSITY NOT TO CHANGE PRICES OR QUALITY OF FOOD

Milk, Inexpensive Meat Cuts Both Up Ten Percent; Sirloin Steaks Rise 35 Percent

Despite the rising cost of almost every type of food, no immediate change is contemplated in either the menus or the price of meals served by the University, according to Roy L. Westcott, Director of the University Dining Halls.

Asked whether the menu quality would be lowered or the rates raised, if it were found that the dining halls were operating at a considerable loss, Westcott said that he was unwilling to be quoted on University policy, then added that he was confident food prices would go down before either of these expedients became necessary.

Last year approximately 2,000,000 meals were served to students and instructors, while 350,000 meals were given without charge to employees of the University. This year, Westcott said, he is prepared to serve the same number of meals, although prices are from ten to 15 percent higher.

The University uses 18,000 gallons of milk and 15 tons of potatoes every month. Although the latter are fairly stable in price, milk has gone up ten percent over last year. Cauned goods are also more expensive.

By far the most serious rise has been in the price of meat. The less expensive cuts are up ten percent over last year, while such items as sirloin steak are 35 percent higher. Although sirloin steak may possibly be rarer in the future, Westcott disclosed that the University would still serve ten tons of roast beef every month.