STRIKE UP THE BAND

Word that on Saturday the band will make bigger and better noise than ever and will out gyrate even its own spectacular gyrations comes as no surprise to those on the "inside" to the group's quite efficiency. More than blows of air through brass lie behind a good band, and in the handling of the money situation the organization has shown the same determination with which it practices five hours for each five minutes of display. The formation of the Harvard Band Trust, just announced, is evidence of high interest and loyalty to the band by its members, boding well for future Saturdays.

Though persons who have heard it say that the band knocks out some of the best music on Eastern gridirons, students have so far failed to contribute anything more negotiable than applause. Few forget the embarrassing moment two falls ago when a hat was passed around the stadium to send the group to Princeton. Few realize the length of the expense sheet of a big band, running from trips and uniforms to polish and pressing, even though Harvard is lucky that the Puritan tradition forbids bearskin shakos and braid. Failure to appreciate these costs is principally to blame for the lack of support from the students and not a lack of pride by the college in its band, a pride now greater for the organization's spirit and resourcefulness.