THOMAS NELSON PERKINS

Just as when a stone is cast into a calm pool and the ripples spread surely onto every farthest bit of the shore, so the death of Thomas Nelson Perkins shocks his friends at home and is felt in all distant countries touched by his work on Reparations. The public praise heaped upon his career at the bar and in industry and banking cannot hide in his friends' minds the memory of a genial counselor, just as generous in his efforts as sage in his advice, nor can Harvard in particular forget the thirty years Mr. Perkins spent as Fellow, during which period he rose from the youngest of the Corporation to be its revered senior member and keenest spirit.

That few of the undergraduates knew Mr. Perkins by sight is a tribute to his modesty and to the unobtrusive efficiency of the Corporation, for officers of the University testify that his greatest interest as Fellow lay in the lot of the students. He was the constant member of a changing Corporation which has in the past quarter century enormously built up the endowment of Harvard and has increased her name and friends. Truly the University will do well so long as she can attract men of the type of Mr. Perkins, and alike for his friendship and for his service she is grateful.