ARMISTICE DAY: AN EVOLUTION OF IDEALS

Yesterday at the eleventh hour was the nineteenth anniversary of the end of the war to end wars. From the viewpoint of diplomats and statesmen, it is difficult to celebrate that "ending" with real conviction when the world is at the moment facing at least two real wars, in Spain and in China, coupled with tense situations in the Mediterranean, in eastern Europe, and latest of all, in Brazil. The great masses of the peoples of the world are likewise disturbed, for the clouds of imperialism and aggrandizement seem at times ready to plunge them into another cataclysm.

But in a larger sense, Armistice Day has not lost its significance. Many of the high ideals for which the World War was fought have, in these past twenty years, been ground under the heel of militarism reborn. Still, new ideals have taken their place, and they are equally strong ideals, just as potent and less easily out-moded. Of these, the chief one is the growing unwillingness of the youth of the democratic world to settle its differences by bloodshed. In short, the post-war generations may have failed to thrill or sob yesterday; they may have spent the holiday at the movies or in other relaxations; and they have been bored with eulogies and speeches. Yet, despite their indifference to past wars and celebrations of past victories, this one thing they are sure of: they want no part in future wars.

This resolution, and it is a very widespread resolution, is in itself a mighty tribute to Armistice Day and the ideals for which it stands. It shows progress and a basic improvement in the philosophy of mankind. It demonstrates that regardless of present war machines, youth is distinctly restless under Mars' long domination. This new type of youth may not shout and cheer and sing anthems on Armistice Day. But rather it murmurs prayerfully and with conviction, "Let it be no more."