H.A.A. Detectives and Student Pickets Move to Combat Swarming Speculators

Private Officers to Investigate Reported Illicit Ticket Transactions; Two Sophomores Bearing Sandwich Protest Signs Patrol Massachusetts Avenue

With a swarm of speculators descending on the Square, the H.A.A. has been forced to hire two private detectives to investigate any reported illicit Yale game transactions, William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, announced yesterday.

"All students whose tickets are found to have gotten into the hands of speculators will be blacklisted," Bingham said.

While ticket scalpers in the Square offered prices to students reported to run as high as $25.00 per seat, two Sophomores, Emile F. De Antonio and Thomas M. Richardson, picketed along Massachusetts Avenue.

They carried large sandwich boards reading "Scalp the Scalpers," and "Eliminate the scalper and other insects from Harvard Square."

"Just a slight mental case," commented a speculator.

Police Guard Athletic Association

Two inspectors from the Cambridge police force were on duty in the H.A.A. office yesterday to keep speculators off the University premises.

"It is almost impossible to make arrests," explained Detective Kelly, one of the officers on duty, "because the speculators are perfectly within the law if they are licensed and are not caught selling tickets at more than 50 cents over the face value. Buying tickets from students at high prices is not illegal, and our hands are tied."

Flashing a pair of billets along Massachusetts Avenue between Holyoke and Plympton Streets invariably drew bids from four or five scalpers.