ENDORSEMENT LETTERS BACK "FOOD" EMPLOYEES

REVEAL INTEREST OVER MEETING ON WAGES, UNION

Acting swiftly to express student "interest" in ultimate results of Tuesday's meeting between representatives of the dining hall employees and business managers of the University, undergraduates yesterday circulated letters among the seven Houses in endorsement of the employees' position.

Total number of signatures in support of higher wages and union recognition for waitresses, the kitchen force, and bus boys mounted steadily last night, according to undergraduate backers.

Contents of Letter

Addressed to Aldrich Durant '02, Business Manager, the letters read as follows:

"We the undersigned students in Harvard College would like to go on record as expressing our interest in the plan you are considering for improving the working conditions of Harvard dining halls and kitchen employees.

"We understand that these employees have chosen a union to bargain for them, and that this union has presented certain demands which you have before you. As students in the University, we feel that working conditions of those who serve us should be decent and fair. We endorse the action of the employees in seeking this end and hope that you will give their demands serious consideration."

Circulators of the letters did not reveal the exact totals as of last night.