LOYATISTS WILL WIN, SPAIN NEVER FACIST AVERS NOVELIST BATES

U.S. NEUTRALITY POLITY WAS NOT NELPTUL TO CAUSE

"If you had given us arms, we would have won the war in a month. But despite non-intervention, we shall do it."

Criticizing the United States for its failure to support those fighting for democracy, Ralph Bates, English novelist and Spanish volunteer, last night gave a graphic account of the spirit which has inflamed loyalist Spain, and predicted Franco's defeat, despite Italian and German support.

Bates, returned in September from the scene of battle, traced the internal development of the loyalist army, which he says has transformed it from a manse of political factions, to an integrated unit, capable of concerted aggression.

As a member of the Fifteenth International Brigade, Bates served as political commissar for the loyalist armies on several fronts. Revealing the hardships which he had witnessed during the early stages of the siege of Madrid, he insisted that no one could criticize the relief which the Russian munition shipments brought to those in the city.

"Franco's blunder in attacking Madrid, "he declared," showed how little of a Spaniard he really was." Almost complete unity and cooperation in defending the city resulted from this action, he added. "The Spanish people will never submit to a Fascist government."