"BY THEIR WORKS . . ."

Phillips Brooks House, ever in a bustle of activity, has commenced a new plan for bringing Harvard into contact with the outside world, and in so doing they are adding to the already very creditable list of valuable works which they accomplish every year with flying colors.

This new Brooks House project has been aptly christened the "Student Faculty," as students who are seriously interested in their work will be invited to pair off with high school graduates living in the poorer districts of Boston, and they will go over reading and lecture notes together in any course that may be of mutual interest. By this method the undergraduate will be forced to clarify his course in his own mind, while the student may obtain an education that he would otherwise have no means of getting.

This admirable plan should have great educational values for the Harvard men involved, as they will learn a great deal from the students with whom they come into contact, in addition to improving their knowledge of their own courses. It will be a great incentive to each undergraduate to do his daily work thoroughly, as he will be spurred on by the knowledge that someone else is depending on his notes, and also by the natural human desire to do his job well. The clever undergraduate may even have his student do some of his optional reading work for him, thus learning more about his own course with less effort.

From the point of view of the University itself, the "Student Faculty" system should spread much good will and greater understanding of Harvard among the underprivileged persons of greater Boston. There are many persons who are our next door neighbors, yet they know nothing about us, except what they read in the papers or hear through rumor. Often these hearsay impressions are unfounded, and hostile, and such impressions can only be corrected by giving a first hand knowledge.

Phillips Brooks House is the only official undergraduate body that spreads this much-needed goodwill among those living outside the cloistered walls of Cambridge, and they render a very valuable service to the University through their wide-spread and numerous activities. The "Student Faculty" deserves the unanimous support of the whole college.

When each Spring the Senior Album appears there are always those members of the graduating class, a considerable number of them, who, to put it mildly, are surprised to see what they look like. More properly they are surly, for they believe, and often they are correct, that their pictures in the book are poor ones and don't look like them at all.

In many cases, it is certainly the subject's own fault. If he wants a good picture to appear, it is his job to see that a good picture does appear. To do this there are two rules. The first is to make an early appointment with the Album photographer and the second is to keep that appointment and to keep making appointments until one is satisfied with the result.

Every year the Album editors start making appeals to their classmates to have their pictures taken early and they continue making those appeals to the last. Always there are those who don't get aboard until the caboose flashes past.

Of course the pictures won't look anything like the subject, the quality of the photography will suffer and with it the quality of the whole book, when men wait until the last moment to crowd the cameramen into hectic endeavors to provide a likeness.

Do it now, says the monitor. Why hurry, replies the sage. And he is quite right, no need to hurry if you don't want to. And if in the outcome one looks like Frankenstein, perhaps one has become Frankenstein with his procrastination.