Harlow Defends His Refusal to Give Substitutes Chance for Letters in Last Part of Yale Game

Tenseness of Battle Prevents Use of Stuart, Oakes, Winter, and Roberts

After the game Dick Harlow said that he would have liked to have given more letters, but added that "our first debt is to Harvard football. We needed our strongest defensive combination up to the closing whistle."

The most obvious candidates for letters who remained benched were: Gibby Winter who played a bang-up game at end in the Army battle, Bob-Barkin and Tom Healey who have soon considerable Varsity service at tackles, and Dave Glueck at guard.

In the backfield, Bob Stuart, Art Oakes, and George Roberts, all lettermen from last season, would undoubtedly have been service if things hadn't been so tense. Bob Burnett proved himself a letter candidate in the Navy game.

Healey '40, Glueck '39, and Burnett '39, will be back next year. Winter, Stuart, Oakes and Roberts, all Seniors, won their letters last year.

The Yale scout was in an ugly mood. He kept muttering unmentionable words over and over throughout the first half, his brow a mass of furrows. Finally, after a Foley-Macdonald reverse which made the Elis look like participants in "button, button, who's got the button," he picked up a New Haven paper and turned to the "help wanted" page and kept his nose buried in it for the remainder of the game.

It was a Booth who defeated an unbeaten Harvard team in 1931. Another Booth played a large part in defeating an imbeaten Yale team in 1937.

Twice a stray dog made its appearance on the field, once stopping the play. But everything seemed to have its redeeming features on Saturday, even the snow which might have been rain. This dog was a Dalmation, and what more aristocratic breed of dog could be desired to upset the Harvard-Yale classic?

Bill Slater who was announcing the game over Station WNAC talked for five minutes over the air about Daughter's wonderful second touchdown until his spotters finally got a word in edgewise to tell him that it was all a big mistake.