VERA BRITTAIN SAYS WAR NOT INEVITABLE IF PESSIMISM CEASES

TERMS HITLER "FANATIC" IN TALK AT SANDERS THEATRE

"Nothing is inevitable unless man makes it so."

That is the answer that Vera Britain, author of "Testament of Youth," gave to the question, "Is War Inevitable?" in a talk sponsored by the League of Nations Association in Sanders Theatre last night.

Pointing out that "even dictators are not immortal," Miss Brittain said that the longer war was delayed, the smaller would be the chance of its coming at all. The success of European statesmen in preventing crises more serious than any that led to the World War from leading to another is the most hopeful element in the present situation.

Miss Brittain, whose latest book is "Honorable Estate," was a nurse during the war, and has since been actively associated with peace groups. Describing herself as only an observer and "no expert on international law," she traced in her lecture the decline of the anti-war reaction after the war and the rise of the new militarism which came on the heels of the Wall Street crash of 1929. Nothing the new military enthusiasm of the German people, she termed Hitler a "complete religious fanatic" and called his rise to power the most important event since the war.